Winter Cookies: Tutorial for Duffel Coat Cookies, Suede texture and etc

I wanted to do a Christmas themed cookie workshop in December, and I had baked the cookies already, but I didn't have time to think about how to ice them. Now it's December and it's a bit too late, so I forgot about teaching and decorated them however I like.



 

Aren't the duffel coat cookies cute? The cutter is designed by Makiko of Bon! Farine and you can find it on Daisy's Cutter Shop. The scarf and boots cutters designed by me are available there as well. 




The lettering (font: Sarcastic) on the round cookies were piped after tracing. To add some pearly shine, I applied Snowflake lustre dust from SugarFlair.




The silver snowflakes on the round cookies are not made of fondant. They are moulded cookies. I coloured the dough with bamboo charcoal powder. After baking, I applied Satin Silver lustre dust from Sugarflair. (I think I should've used Snowflake lustre dust. I wanted to achieve lighter colour.)

 

Do you see the difference between ones with lustre dust and ones without it? Just in case, my fingers are not gigantic like BFG's, the snowflakes are tiny.


 

 

A lot of you know BFG, it's Big Friendly Giant.


I read most of Roald Dahl's books with my daughters and they are definitely our favourite! We often talked about what book we loved most. I think our best 3 is "Matilda," "The Witches," and "BFG."


What was I talking about? Moulded cookies. They don't seem to be so popular but moulded cookies are so easy(I mean you don't need technique, you need just time) and effective.  I usually colour leftover cookie dough. When you colour it, you shouldn't knead it because it will end up shrinking or distorting after baked. To mix in colour, I cut up the dough with a spatula or a knife and roll it out with a rolling pin, cut it up and roll it out again... After colouring the dough, rest it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before filling the moulds. Put the dough into the moulds tightly as much as you can, then leave it in the freezer to chill until it is firm. (These snowflakes are very small, so 5 minutes is enough.) 


For small thin moulds like those snowflakes, it's hard to scrape the extra dough out of the moulds, because you might scrape too much and the dough might come off the mold. Therefore, I leave the extra dough and bake it as it is, and then remove the extra with a knife. It's easy for me but I have to admit it's time consuming. (I believe people who like decorating cookies like doing time consuming thing.)


Now I'll show you how to decorate duffel coat cookies.

image


I bet duffel coat cookies are cuter than normal coat cookies with ordinary buttons. Toggles are cute. It's the way toggles hang from cords. And the fact that it is easy to achieve with icing.


Let's get started!


Apply loose icing to area ①(the inside of the hood) with a paint brush.

Draw lines separating each area, from ① to ⑥.

Flood the areas in the order of ② to ⑥.

Now the inside of the hood should be dry, then apply loose icing with a paintbrush and tap it to make it look fluffy.

Make the toggles (white parts) on the cello sheet or parchment paper. (You can pipe them directly, but it's better to put them on later to make them look like they're hanging from string)

After flooded area is dry, pipe lines around the hood, cuffs, pockets, etc.

Pipe dark brown cords for toggles (Pipe two parallel lines pointing diagonally downwards on the left and pipe a loop pointing diagonally downwards on the right. They overlap slightly in the centre.)

Pipe dark brown leather pieces.

 ↓

Put toggle parts onto the overlapping part of the cords, so they will look a bit like they are floating)

Pipe wiggly lines on the edges of the folded part of the hoods.

 ↓

Dust the inside of the hood with powdered sugar and remove excess icing sugar, to give it a whitish and matte finish. Done!!


The inside of the hood is meant to look like the fluffy back of a woolen fabric, but in fact what I did is exactly the same as the boots that I call "suede texture." It looks like suede or fluffy wool, depending on how you feel about it.


Here's how I get "suede texture" on my boots cookies.









Comments

Popular Posts