Halloween Cookies

Looking back at my cookies, I found that there were fewer Halloween-themed cookies than I expected. I think it's easier and more fun for me to make general 'autumn' themed cookies.

So this year I went with a soft/elegant gothic Halloween theme, with crows, pumpkins and Halloween phrases.



The mini bird cutters are a bit too cute to make crows (I hate crows), but they look like crows enough just because they are all black.  Both the plaque and birds cutters are available at Daisy's cookie cutter shop. The pumpkins are both knife-cut.



 
The inside of the frame is done the same way as the wedding cookies I made last month, applied with runny icing with a paintbrush. I couldn't trace lettering using parcment paper because the surface is not smooth, so I carefully wrote the lettering with a scriber looking at the lettering in Dear Joe 4 font, and then piped. I can never pipe lettering right without any guide.


 

I painted the frames and pumpkins with white and black food colouring afterwards. The centers of the flowers are black icing blobs covered in granulated sugar.


Last, I was asked "How do you paint the base of the little bird cookies?" So here's the video of icing the mini crow.



Just draw the outline precisely, fill in the outlining icing so it doesn't make craters, fill in soft icing, and then even it out with a scriber. The soft icing should not be too runny, nor too much soft icing in the centre or you might get craters.

For shapes like birds or teddy bears, it is very important to get the outline exactly right. A slight difference makes them look "uncute."

You can fix outlines with a damp paintbrush, and I often do, but you shouldn't too much, as you can break them. The best thing is remove the outlines and start again!

Comments

Popular Posts