Mardi Gras Cookies

I was invited by Danielle of Bonte Cookie to participate in Mardi Gras cookie collaboration. I didn't know a lot about Mardi Gras. Actually all I knew was Sydney Mardi Gras (my husband is Australian, by the way).

I googled it and found out that it is a Christian event. I looked at a lot of photos of Mardi Gras celebration, from house decoration to food, but a photo of a decorated building with distinctive ironwork balconies in New Orleans caught my eyes.
 




When I was making these, I noticed my colours were not bright enough and the ferns were not big enough. That's why my cookies seem to miss something...






I took the photo below, thinking that the building might look like this if I was actually walking down the street and look up.
 





The wreath, banner and beads are transfers.
The masked face in the wreath the middle of the picture is completely different from the real one. Look at this.
 
 

 

I thought it looks like a man wearing strange sunglasses and grinning. Or someone who got a bug on his or her face...


On the third floor I put up a banner.


I thought about some circus font for the banner, but it's pretty small (each cookie is about 6cm high) so I went with the Cherry Cordial again. I like this font because it's easy to pipe.

This is my first time to participate in cookie collaboration. If I wasn't invited, I would never thought about making Mardi Gras cookies. (In Japan there's no Mardi Gras celebration.)  Thank you so much Danielle for inviting me!


Comments

Popular Posts